Friday 6 January 2012

Vole Out Of The Hole

Ahhh the peaceful calm after the storm, not to much debris around either, although work did ask me to take some pictures of the giant logo signage on the side of the building. Letters missing, what ever next. Something mentioned about proof for the Insurance company. Not like its a Ferrari or ought.

So off to Rooksbury Mill LNR today, a gorgeous sunshine filled morning soon subsiding by 1pm as the clouds started to appear. However no breeze what so ever, a bonus after yesterdays gale force gusts.

First sighting a Great Tit, perching long enough for me to fire off a few shots.
Great Tit
Brooks lake seemed a little more crowded than usual with Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan & Mallard all present.

A quick stop at the Kingfisher pool, did indeed bring a brief glimpse of a Kingfisher, a Little Egret rose from the furthest pool, landing in the tree and proceeding to prune itself.
Little Egret
The Mill lake had Mallard, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Little Grebe, Black Headed Gull, Grey Heron & a new species for me at he location a drake Wigeon.

Other birds logged todays were : Robin, Wren, Blue Tit, Blackbird, Long Tailed Tit, Song Thrush, Chaffinch, Treecreeper, Kestrel, Wood Pigeon & Greenfinch.

With the time ticking on, I decided on a walk back the way I came, hoping for another glimpse of the Kingfisher rather than a trudge right around the perimeter of the reserve. Im glad I did, rewarded with some rather awesome views of a Water Vole. Who I would have hoped to have enjoyed a lot longer. If not for a rather friendly elderly gentlemen giving me a lecture on where to see them along with Water Rails & Kingfishers. I think he was oblivious to the fact I'd just pointed it out to him on the stream edge and that I knew what it was. He also made me late back to work!
Water Vole


No comments:

Post a Comment