Saturday 29 December 2012

Lunchtime Otter

I don't think lunch hours get much better than this to be honest. My usual lunchtime jaunt around Rooksbury had been pretty unsuccessful, not a lot showing up at all on a bright crisp December day. I had gotten half way around my circuit of the big lake when I stopped to speak to the Fishermen, both moaning about in the influx of Cormorants that are tormenting the local fish populations. As one came into land they both jumped to there feet shouting and hollering. Its fair to say that the Cormorant didn't really take a blind bit of notice and proceeded to fish quite happily in front of them.

I left them reeling in a fish and carried on down by the waters edge, getting only 30ft further, when up popped a head 10ft away in the water. I froze, tripod mid air, no cover or anything as this particular edge of the lake has quite a bank that leads to it. My shape quite imposing with no background to hide it. 10 seconds seems an eternity when your trying to be invisible, as the head went under I moved a little closer trying to break my outline from the clear sky behind it.

An up pops the head again, again I freeze this time though I was prepared, camera was on and I managed to start snapping a few shots. After another breathtaking 10-15 seconds the Otter dived again, allowing me to get right down by the waters edge and conceal myself a little against a nearby bush.

Here it was hunting mere metres from the fisherman, presumably making the most of there bates attraction of the lakes fish. The lighting was really bright so had to struggle with the camera settings as best I could in such a situation. With one side of the Otters head in bright sunshine the other in shade. Below are 4 of the shots I manage to get fairly okish.

A cracking lunchtime encounter, at really close quarters. One I will never forget and I don't think will ever top!

Look at those Teeth!



http://www.facebook.com/MartinClayPhotography Up to date pictures and sightings, prior to me getting around to writing these blog posts, I would be more than grateful for any 'Likes' or Comments on my FB Photography Page too so feel free to comment or criticise about anything.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Martin, this blog has made me chuckle as I have just been down for a walk and just about to head home as soaked to the skin and cold and caught my very first glimpse of an otter at the far end of the lake opposite the allotment car park. Like you I stopped in mid air and tried my hardest to disguise myself so I could get some photos but a couple of runners went by making a racket and scared him / her off. Maybe tomorrow morning I might be lucky to catch sight and take some photos as it promises to be a clear bright morning. Mel :O)

    ReplyDelete