Friday 28 December 2012

Rooksbury Gull - ID Required

I've started spending my lunch hour walking around the local Nature reserve again now down at Rooksbury Mill, on this particular visit I was watching 2 Black headed Gulls circling with a rather larger cousin, which I assumed was a winter plumage Herring Gull, now my gull identification skills are pretty awful so if anyone could confirm for me I would be grateful.

The more annoying thing is, I was stood there busy photographing the gulls, wondering why they were circling over such a small part of the lake, when up popped an Otter no more than 30 ft away. DOH! That explained it! Another massive fail on my part, as it soon went under again. Photo missed.





http://www.facebook.com/MartinClayPhotography Up to date pictures and sightings, prior to me getting around to writing these blog posts, I would be more than grateful for any 'Likes' or Comments on my FB Photography Page too so feel free to comment or criticise about anything.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a second winter Herring Gull to me Martin. Definitely not an adult at any rate, but definitely a Herring Gull. Difficult to say without seeing the 'upper' parts of the wings etc, but it looks too mottled to be anything older than a 2nd winter?
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete