Tuesday 26 February 2013

Rooksbury Siskins - 5th Feb


With the sun shining and the rain having abated for a few days it was nice to get back into some sort of lunchtime routine, enjoying the dry settled weather for my lunchtime wander around the lakes. Apart from the odd Goldcrest from time to time and the obligatory group of Long-tailed Tits, small passerines are not often on the daily menu.

So you can imagine my delight when I rounded the path on to the lakeside board walk and was greeted by a small group of Siskin feeding in the water side Alder tree. My first of the year and I think the first I have seen around the lakes. Although a relatively common finch throughout the UK, I never seem to connect with them all that often.

I counted 5 in total 2 Males & 3 Females and they were quite obliging in allowing me to walk to the base of there tree. As is normal on an Andover lunchtime the sun regularly disappeared behind passing clouds, and seem to do this even more frequently as one of the male Siskin's occasionally came out to the ends of the branches to feed.

So I whacked up the Exposure settings on the camera and waited for such occasions. He even raised his head up from feeding on the catkins long enough for a few pictures too. Not I guess a miraculously exciting sighting for most, but it certainly made a change to me, and it was nice to watch these acrobatic little finches at such close quarters.

Male Siskin 


"Im going, im going, I'm....no wait I'm just hungry"
If you are a social media user, Feel free to follow me on FacebookTwitter or Google+ for up to date sightings & photographs, any 'Comments & Criticisms' are welcomed.
Facebook  •  Twitter  •  Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment