Wednesday 10 April 2013

A Week at Rooksbury - 18th - 21st Feb

Massive apologies to all my blog readers as I am a whole 2 months behind, work has been manic for the past month or so and all lunchtime trips out have been halted in there tracks. But you don't want to hear about that so I will try catch up on some blogging normality, I would say expect them all thick and fast in the coming days, but we shall see.

So after the excitement of the Great Bustard it was back to the humdrum of a lunchtime walk around the lakes. Both appeared really quiet with hardly any birds visible on a fairly bright February Tuesday afternoon. 4 Little Grebe appeared on the large Lake and showed fairly closely for Little Grebe, both  a Sparrowhawk and a Cormorant perched atop waterside trees surveying the scene.

I managed to seek out a rather bold Goldcrest singing in the ivy tree at the far end of the reserve, and after a short wait I was rewarded with some lovely close views, even if the foreground and background was cluttered with twigs.

Goldcrest 


Singing Robin

With Rain on Wednesday, I returned Thursday lunchtime to an even quieter reserve, a brace of Gadwall pairs on the small Lake, and now only 2 Little Grebe on the large lake. Several Goldfinch fed on the thistles by the car park and I did catch a glimpse of a calling Grey Wagtail as it zoomed over the top of the water.

I did have some joy whilst sat on the bench overlooking the lakes, 3 raucous Mallard put down the landing gear, and somehow I managed to catch them in almost perfect synchronicity. They soon were joined by 3 other drakes who all raced off after the lone female.

So all in all quite a quiet week at the lakes, but nice to see a little of Spring in the air.

Little Grebes
Incoming Mallard
If you are a social media user, Feel free to follow me on FacebookTwitter or Google+ for up to date sightings & photographs, any 'Comments & Criticisms' are welcomed.
Facebook  •  Twitter  •  Google+

1 comment: